Tuesday, August 6, 2013

You Have to Work at It!

Monday is my day off from work. So Monday turns into being a busy day. I have laundry, sometimes dishes, often yard work, bills, and other "things" that pile up during the week screaming for attention.

But my body also needs down time ... rest. God designed us that way. In fact, He rested after creation, setting the example that was then "codified" in the Ten Commandments.

So often, I find myself needing to do work, but also desiring rest, down time.

But as I was working in the yard this past Monday, noticing how much our yard has deteriorated over the 10 years we've lived in the house, the thought, "You have to work at it!" came to mind.

There are so many things in our life at which you have to work. Yet, I find, human nature is more often than not to simply coast along.

We had a great yard when I moved in, simply mowing and trimming should be enough. Nope!

Weeds creep in, clover creeps in, crabgrass creeps in; and before you know it, your yard is no longer great. It now is overgrown with things you will take months clearing out.

She loved me so much when we were first married. I can just coast on that. Nope!

Relationships are hard. Marriage is very hard. Just because there was love at the beginning, doesn't mean it will stay strong. Just as with a yard, things creep into your marriage and cause damage.

That comment you made, jokingly ...

That movie you watched, but knew you shouldn't ...

That night you were out too late with your buddies ...

That lingering touch of the coworker ...

All are weeds, clover, and crabgrass to a marriage. And before you know it, the love you once shared, so depended on keeping you together, has been choked out.

So I mowed my lawn yesterday. And when she got home, my wife said the yard looked great. I said, "No, it looks mowed. But it is far from great."

And so many marriages are the same. From the outside, at a distance, they look great. But upon closer inspection, there are issues growing up that need attention.

Everything in this world deteriorates. That is a consequence of sin. Lawns, cars, houses, clothes, and marriages.

Without work, without ensuring you are putting your focus on the right things: watering, weeding, pruning for lawns; dates, truly listening, supporting, encouraging, loving for marriages; these too will deteriorate.

What are you neglecting in your life today that could use refocused attention?

No comments:

Post a Comment