Thursday, August 22, 2013

God Doesn't Need Me

Like so many people today, I am on Twitter. You can follow me at Twitter.com/gtkconsulting. Today's post came from a Tweet I read recently.

A pastor of a mega-church Tweeted: "God doesn't need me. He wants me, He loves me. This is far better!"

It is humbling to consider the God of the universe wants to be in relationship with me. He loves me so much, no price was too great for my redemption.

From the beginning of the Bible, all the way through to the end, we read how God pursues people. Most of the people He pursues in the pages of the Bible wind up doing or witnessing great things.

God pursued Abram, while he still lived in Ur. Abram becomes Abraham, father of nations.

God pursued Moses while he was in the desert. Moses becomes the deliverer of Israel.

God pursued David while he was a young boy tending sheep. David becomes the greatest King of Israel.

God pursued Jonah as he ran the opposite direction. Jonah is the instrument God uses to save an entire city from destruction.

God, as Jesus, pursued 12 men and a handful of other people while on earth. Those men and women began a revolution that rages on today.

God pursued Saul as he marched to destroy the young church. Saul became Paul and took the gospel to the nations.

God still pursues people today.

God didn't need any of those people. Had any of them refused, God's plan would have continued, but in a different form. God wanted each of those people to be His partners. He loved them, and He loves us, so much, He brought them along into greatness.

I wonder how many times my fear and my pride get in the way of me experiencing the greatness God has intended for my life. How many times do I forget that because of His great love, God paid the ultimate price, His son, for my redemption.

Not because He needed me. It was because He wanted me.

And yes, that indeed is far better!

No comments:

Post a Comment