Tuesday, August 20, 2013

How to Avoid Burnout

I recently read that burnout doesn't happen because we work hard. Burnout happens because we work hard without results.

This was tied to an article about pastors, but I believe it applies across the board.

If you follow this blog, you know that for 5 years I toured the country installing audio, video, and lighting systems (AVL) in churches. While I am now employed full-time at SoAcres Church (www.SoAcres.com) here in Lexington, I have the freedom to periodically help some companies with AVL integration.

While I was employed full-time in the AVL integration field, we worked hard. Our days often averaged 10 - 12 hours on the job site. We would be onsite around 9 am, leave for lunch sometime mid afternoon, and then return to work until 9 pm each day.

Frequently, due to fulfillment issues, gear would arrive later than expected, causing us to have to work even longer hours at the end of the week to complete the project.

Most jobs we had a hard deadline. The church needed the room for Sunday services. Often, they needed them Saturday early afternoon for rehearsal and then the Saturday night service followed by the Sunday morning service.

Each job was unique, yet each job had similarities to other jobs.

But each job had long hours.

Despite those hours, even if I had to forego sleep to ensure the project was completed on time, I always found joy when I stood at the back of the room in the production booth and celebrated the "win" with the church team. The win? People worshiping in the house of God.

It was the weeks where we worked long hard hours and I didn't get to stick around for the Sunday experience that were the hardest.

Now that I'm employed full-time at a church, I have the same feelings. I work during the week to program lights and video for the service. When I am able to be there Sunday morning and experience the worship, it makes the work of the week, no matter how frustrating it can be at times, worth the effort.

It wasn't quite as fulfilling when I programmed everything and then left for vacation. Sure, the vacation and time with family was great, but not having seen the result of my work during the week as the church worshiped, took something from the experience.

What is your "win" at your job? What brings the fulfillment to you for all the effort you put into each and every day?

If you don't know, you need to find the answer. It is in knowing why you are working; though the tasks are difficult, despite the many long hours, that keeps you from experiencing burnout.

Find your "win" today, and find more joy in your work tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment