Thursday, August 15, 2013

My 100th Post - Always

Today marks a milestone at the 10:10 Muse ... it is my 100th post!

100 is a number that is often celebrated.

100 episodes is a milestone only the "best" (recognizing best is a subjective word) TV shows make ... so they celebrate.

100 is an age few humans reach, so the Today show brings you a cake (do they still do that?)

100 years is a number very few churches see, especially thriving, growing churches ...

So today I'm going to celebrate this milestone by talking about the lyrics of a song, Always by Kristian Stanfill.

The line of the song that goes: "Oh my God, He will not delay, my refuge and strength always" is where I want to land, but let's look at the entire song.
My foes are many, they rise against me. But I will hold my ground. I will not fear the war, I will not fear the storm. My help is on the way, my help is on the way.
Oh, my God, He will not delay. 
My refuge and strength always. I will not fear, His promise is true. My God will come through always, always.
Troubles surround me, chaos abounding. 
My soul will rest in You. I will not fear the war, I will not fear the storm. My help is on the way, my help is on the way.
Oh, my God, He will not delay. 
My refuge and strength always. I will not fear, His promise is true. My God will come through always, always.
I lift my eyes up, my help comes from the Lord. 
I lift my eyes up, my help comes from the Lord. I lift my eyes up, my help comes from the Lord. I lift my eyes up, my help comes from the Lord. From You Lord, from You Lord.
Oh, my God, He will not delay. 
My refuge and strength always. I will not fear, His promise is true. My God will come through always, always. 
Oh, my God, He will not delay. My refuge and strength always, always.
This song is a great summary of life. All around we have chaos. We face fears, foes, storms and sometimes war.

Yet God is our refuge and strength, always.

What we most often forget, especially in the midst of the chaos, is that God is with us, He has not left. However, we may not be looking at Him, but rather looking at the chaos and insanity.

In that instance, like Peter who walked on water while looking at Jesus' face, but then sank when he looked at the wind and waves; we too begin to sink.

But also like Peter, all we need to do to be rescued is to call out to God, "Lord, help me! I'm drowning."

Far too often, however, we wait until we are almost covered up. Sometimes we even wait until we are covered, and only our outstretched arm remains above the waves.

Yet all the time, God is right there longing for us to call out. He won't delay, He is our refuge and strength, always. But ONLY after we turn to Him. Only after we reach out to Him. Only after we call to Him.

That is how God shows His love. He stands there, waiting. Waiting on us. He loves us and doesn't want us to be hurt, doesn't want us to wander, longs for us to remain in Him. But He also wants us to want Him, so He never forces Himself on us.

But He also knows that we do wander, we do walk away.

So He patiently waits for our call. And when we call, He comes running.

What chaos, storm, war, fear, or foe are you facing today? You don't have to face it alone. God, your Heavenly Father is waiting for your call. And when you call, He won't delay. He will run.

No comments:

Post a Comment