Monday, February 9, 2009

Product of My Generation?

I used to think my generation did not have that one great "where were you when?" moment. Now I know we don't. We have far too many.

My great-grandparents remember where they were when Wall Street crashed, my grandparents can remember where they were when Pearl Harbor was bombed, my parents remember where they were when President Kennedy was shot. My generation can remember:

1. Where I was when a President resigned in disgrace.
2. Where I was when our entire nation was held hostage for 444 days along with 52 of our diplomats in Iran.
3. Where I was when President Reagan was shot.
4. Where I was when the Marines were bombed in Lebanon.
5. Where I was when the Space Shuttle Challenger exploded on national television.
6. Where I was on "Black Monday" and the job I lost because of this stock market "adjustment."
7. Where I was when the Berlin Wall fell.
8. Where I was when the US started "Shock and Awe" against the Iraqi nation.
9. Where I was when a President was Impeached.
10. Where I was when a 0.009% margin determined a Presidential election.
11. Where I was when terrorists used planes as bombs and missiles against our nation.
12. Where I was when the Space Shuttle Columbia disintegrated on national television.
13. Where I was when the United States once again invaded Iraq.
14. Where I was when the first African-American President was elected.

It is no wonder our generation has difficulty finding an identity. We have so many from which to choose. We were the product of a generation that questioned everything, and so did we. We became the "Me" generation, pursuing everything, no matter the cost.

We lived fast lives, drove fast cars, ran with fast women, and our drugs were designed to speed us up, not mellow us out like those of our parents. Our anthem was "Life in the Fast Lane," and we did whatever it took to stay there.

We created "Dot Com" companies based on nothing but a dream, and made millions, sometimes billions, of dollars. We bought water in a bottle and just listening to music wasn't enough, we needed to see it on TV.

My generation didn't have a "great evil" to fight. We were not faced with Fascism or Communism as enemies. Our enemies are terrorists who use human shields and send children and pregnant women strapped with bombs into our midst. There is no longer the "honor" of men facing each other on the battlefield. Now every person, every place is a potential target. We fight an "unseen" enemy who is willing to break every rule of engagement simply to annihilate our way of life.

As we turn 40 and beyond, will we finally realize there is a bigger purpose than "Me?" Will we finally step up and take control of our lives, responsibility for our actions, and begin to lead? Our parents are ready to retire, turn over the reigns if you will. Are we going to take them, or are we simply going to continue to focus on ourselves, leaving our children the repsonsibility to lead because we chose "Me."

I hope my generation decides soon. I'd hate to wind up simply being a footnote of history, the "dash" that connected our parents to our children. Because our children are seeking an identity and many of them want to lead. I just hope we don't acquiesce, but let them know their time will come, but right now is our time to give back. We've taken so much, don't you think we need to leave a little for those who come behind?

No comments:

Post a Comment