Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Finally Home

Yesterday I was introduced to a new song, "Finally Home" by Mercy Me. A friend has been posting the first lines of the second chorus as his facebook status for the past few days, and I asked him where the line originated. He provided me with a link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EkI0WE4Aps) to the Mercy Me video.

"Then I'll gaze upon the throne of the King, frozen in my steps, and all the questions that I swore I would ask; words just won't come."

It hit me at that moment, like a ton of bricks, as we stare into the face of God, everything that has come before won't matter. Questions like I've posted here on this blog, questions like I'm asking in my newest book "18 Inches," all will be wiped away as we stand frozen in our steps.

"God is God and I am not," Steven Curtis Chapman wrote. This is something I struggle with daily in my life as I journey towards the 10:10 promise. I want to be in control. I want to be the boss. I want things to work out to my benefit. Don't you?

Yet when they don't, we don't blame ourselves. We blame God. We took the reigns away from Him, and then have the audacity to blame Him when we wreck.

Most intriguing to me is we then say, "I'm going to ask God why ________" (fill in your own blank here). But on that day we won't ask "Why did bad things happen to good people? Why did you take my baby? Why did you allow so much pain and suffering?"


Mercy Me brings new reality with "Finally Home." Standing in the throne room of God, no questions will be asked, words will fail us as surly as our steps will falter and we fall to our knees (Romans 14:11).

This could be a sad song, a song of torment, standing speechless before God in anguish over the sins we have committed as He reads to us from "The Book." Isn't that how many people see God? Judge, jury, and executioner. God sitting on His throne, writing down each sin we commit, holding us accountable on "Judgment Day?" (Matthew 12:36)

Fortunately, Mercy Me wrote about a homecoming. Going back to verse one we hear, "I'm going to wrap my arms around my daddy's neck and tell him that I've missed him, and tell him all about the man that I became, and hope that it pleased him. There's so much I want to say, there's so much I want you to know."

Yes, we will stand before God speechless, how could we not, mere mortal standing in the presence of our creator, God. But our speechlessness will not be fear of judgment for those who have followed God, it will be awe. Awe that He loved us enough to send His very own son to restore the relationship He created in Eden. Awe that He wants us to live eternity with Him. Awe that He wants to hear about the man (or woman) I've become, and to celebrate that with me.

Finally Home. Can't you imagine it now?

No comments:

Post a Comment