Wednesday, February 4, 2009

God is Suffering?

Dietrich Bonhoeffer wrote, in a 1943 letter to his sister Sabine, "It is good to learn early enough that suffering and God are not a contradiction but rather a unity, for this idea that God himself is suffering is one that has always been one of the most convincing teachings of Christianity. I think God is nearer to suffering than to happiness, and to find God in this way gives peace and rest and a strong and courageous heart."

I read those words last night in the book Death by Suburb: How to Keep the Suburbs from Killing Your Soul, written by David L. Goetz. It struck me like a kidney punch; I almost dropped the book.

God is suffering? I had to know more. Enter BibleGateway.com. I ran a search for suffering and found thirty (30) passages that combined suffer(ed) or suffer(ing) as it pertains to Jesus. But each of these passages were either prophesies or historical references to the suffering he must endure on the cross. I understand Jesus suffered on the cross, but does that mean he continues to suffer? Bonhoeffer used the present tense: "God himself is suffering." Is God still suffering today?

I had to find the scripture Bonhoeffer used to write these words. So I looked at other words that would show suffering in God. I chose to search wept, anguish and grieve (all searches were run using the New International Version).

Other than John 11:35 (Jesus wept ... Jesus crying at the grave of his friend Lazarus), Jesus was only recorded in the gospels as having wept one other time. Luke 19:41 records Jesus weeping over the city of Jerusalem as he is about to enter during his final days before the crucifixion. This chosen city of God, the center of His nation on earth, is about to crucify the God who has watched over her for centuries. This causes Jesus to weep in anguish. He has cared for this city and it will now crucify him. Jesus was in distress, but it appears to be tied to the crucifixion, not anything else. I still do not believe I have found scriptural justification for Bonhoeffer's ascertain.

The only use of anguish relating to God was Luke 22:44, where Jesus was in anguish as he prayed in the garden prior to his capture and eventual crucifixion. Again, this reference is tied to the crucifixion. I feel no closer to understanding Bonhoeffer's statement.

It wasn't until I searched grieve(d), that I was finally able to understand Bonhoeffer's statement. Merriam-Webster's online dictionary defines grieve as: "to cause to suffer." Searching the New International Version I found eleven (11) references to God being grieved.

Genesis 6:6-7 - God is grieved (caused to suffer) because he created man.

I Samuel 15:11, 35 - God is grieved (caused to suffer) because he appointed Saul king of Israel.

II Samuel 24:16 and I Chronicles 21:15 - God is grieved (caused to suffer) as He doles out punishment on David and all of Israel for David's sin in conducting a census. God causes the punishment to end as a result of His grief.

Psalm 78:40 - the psalmist is talking about how frequently God was grieved (caused to suffer) by the Israelites as they wandered in the desert after leaving Egypt.

Isaiah 63:10 - God is grieved (caused to suffer) each time His people rebelled.

Jeremiah 42:10 - God is grieved (caused to suffer) because His people are suffering under the hands of Babylon. God promises to "build you up and not tear you down."

Ezekiel 6:9 - God is grieved (caused to suffer) because of the adulterous heart of His nation.

Ephesians 4:30 - The only New Testament scripture: "Do not grieve the Holy Spirit."

How do we grieve the Holy Spirit? By straying from His teachings; going our own adulterous ways. So Dietrich Bonhoeffer was right, God is suffering. He suffers each time we sin. And because I know myself, God truly is suffering a whole lot more than He is happy as he looks at me.

Thankfully I have Psalm 103:12, Hebrews 10:12, and I John 1:9 to assure me that God forgives and the price for my sin is paid in full. While God is grieved (suffering) when I sin, He has forgiven me of my sin and provided for me eternal salvation. Thank you Jesus for suffering on my behalf so that God does not have to eternally suffer over my sin.

No comments:

Post a Comment