Thursday, July 1, 2010

Two Different Approaches

Yesterday I became aware of two different approaches to treating people by Christians that I simply could not pass up the opportunity to share here today. It all started during my prayer time yesterday morning. During my quiet time with God, I sensed Him telling me I needed to return to my writing.

So I wrote my first blog of 2010, on June 30th, exactly half way into the year. And then I began a quest to read other writers, to peruse other blogs, to see what the world was discussing. I found the first of what I'm calling "Two Different Approaches" through a link on Twitter. A friend on Twitter had linked to the following website:
http://naytinalbert.blogspot.com/2010/06/i-hugged-man-in-his-underwear-and-i-am.html. It was a story about some Christians who wore "I'm Sorry" t-shirts to a gay pride parade in Chicago. Along with the t-shirts, they carried hand written signs apologizing to the gay community for the way churches and Christians have showered the gay community with hate. The resulting healing that was started was amazing. I recommend each of you read the blog entry and then consider how you can find ways to also begin the process of reconciliation in your community.

I immediately sent the link to my lovely bride because I was so moved by the power of this simply act. Yes, it cost little financially, but it offered so much spiritually and emotionally; both to those who needed to hear the message of love Jesus truly offers, and to those who were offering the "olive branch." I am motivated to be a better Christ follower when I read stories like this; stories of true Christianity in action.

Later in the day, as my bride and I were sitting on our back porch, eating ice cream, talking, and looking at fireflies and stars, I heard the story of the second approach; unfortunately the all too common approach. A nationally syndicated radio host was responding to an email.

Now I cannot truly confirm this host is a Christian. While reading through the website this morning I found a section dedicated to providing the company's solutions to churches, and the corporate mission statement says: "... providing biblically based, common-sense education and empowerment which gives HOPE to everyone ...." However, I could not find sufficient definitive proof on the website to truly say the host himself is a committed Christ follower.

Yet, because churches across the county use the system developed by this company, because many of the principles included in the process are truly bibically based, my wife (and many others I would assume) believe this host is a Christian. So as she was listening to his response to an email while driving to the store to pick up the ice cream we were about to enjoy on the back porch last night (and yes, we had a coupon for the ice cream) she became offended by his response. The question was from a woman who did not agree with her husband's financial choice and she wanted some help.

The response, however was where it all broke down. My wife said the host started mocking the husband, calling him a "loser" in a patronizing tone of voice. He didn't stop there, he continued by saying when you told you father you were going to marry this guy, the sigh you heard escape from his lips was your father calling him a "loser." The host continued to say "loser" still using a condescending tone in his voice as he said the word, repeating it four or more times before my wife turned her radio off, unable to listen to another word.

Again, I cannot confirm this host is a committed Christ follower. I do not listen enough to know his heart. But I do know his response last night, at least the portion my wife heard and relayed to me, was not in concert with a response Jesus would have made. This man's response last night was not uplifting, did not provide the wife, who was seeking help, with hope or ammunition for a strong debate with her husband. The response did not provide the wife with a means of honoring her husband, while also striving to help him grow in his understanding of financial responsibility.

Please do not hear me judging the radio show host with my words. To judge him would be a failure to follow Jesus' example and an act against my own writing. My intention as I wrote today was to offer a challenge; a challenge supported by the offering of "Two Different Approaches."

Do you call yourself a Christ follower? If so, how do your actions reflect Christ. As you touch people throughout your day, consider carefully how that interaction reflects the message of Jesus. Commit today to leave each encounter with the knowledge you have impacted your world positively for the gospel. That is how we carry the message of Jesus to a world in need.

4 comments:

  1. good call tim... i didnt think about it in that way, how we treat people in everyday life. joking around or being harsh with anyone can be devastating to that person.
    that story from yesterday opened up a huge conversation with one of our best friends who is a member of the lgbt community...
    thanks for sharing!
    jvk

    ReplyDelete
  2. JVK ... Thank you for posting the link to the story on Twitter that got my mind moving in the right direction! It is only through open communication that Christ's message of restoration can be achieved.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tim, great post! Thanks for sharing. The guy you are referring to is a committed Christian, and his testimony is actually pretty powerful. He does employ a very brash style, but it is effective for him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. John ... Thanks for the comment! As I said, I am familiar with his work and I know many people who are now experiencing financial freedom because of this man. What caught my attention was the contrast in styles. Maybe to reaach some people a "brash" style is needed, but I'm learning as I get older that softer really can work. I appreciate your thoughts ...

    ReplyDelete