Tuesday, July 13, 2010

In Training

My friends at the Lexington Leadership Foundation (www.lexlf.org) started a new running group a few months ago in preparation for a 10K run recently held in Lexington. While both my wife and I are former runners (we have both taken time off, me much more time off than my lovely bride), we chose not to become part of the group when it formed in April.

However, due to our friendship with the President/CEO of the LLF, we were invited to the spaghetti dinner held for the team the night prior to the July 3rd
10K run. It was a pleasure to be there to support the 30+ men, women, and children who would either participate in the 10K or in the 1 Mile Fun Run the following morning. Most enjoyable, however, was the Christian fellowship over a free meal (free to me at least, someone paid for the food) and the pep talks by both a Lexington City Council Member who has become the voice of fitness here in our community and the coach of the UK Women's Basketball team; both Christians.

The evening was so motivating, I told Kelly I felt we could be ready for the next event in which Team LLF would participate, the Mid-summer Night's Run, a 5K event in mid August. Kelly asked me the next day if I was serious about running in the Mid-summer Night's Run, and asked again a few days later, probably because I had yet to start training, and each time I said, yes. So this past Saturday and again this morning, my lovely bride was out training.

I followed suit this morning, and for the first time in over 20 years, I was running. Well, I ran, walked, ran, walked, ran, and walked (in that order) a mile this morning in just under 14 minutes. Now before you get too excited for me, my pace this morning was approximately that of a forced march in the Army, and they are carrying their full packs during their march. Also, when I used to run (now running isn't something I've done significantly since injuring a knee my junior year in school), "back in the day," my slowest times were 8 minute miles. While I'm happy I didn't die this morning, 14 minutes is significantly off my former pace. Of course, I've also added an entire person to my body, now weighing almost 90 pounds more than I did while running competitively ...

So after running this morning, I returned home, picked up my Bible and began my daily devotions. In early May I was challenged by my pastor to make Bible reading and prayer a priority each day, no matter what. Following the example of that pastor, I committed not to eat each day until after I had spent time with God.

Like running, time with God had become something I found easy to ignore, neglect, or simply not do. And like my body had gained extra weight due to the lack of exercise, decreasing my health; not spending time with God had also put me in a place where I was increasing my potential for worsening spiritual health.

Fortunately, making the commitment to be with God daily before food, something I've only missed twice in nearly 2-1/2 months, was an easy routine to develop. It is my hope that the care I've begun to take in my spiritual life (which has also brought forth more blogging), will show me that having put my mind to something, especially when it is God honoring, I can do it!

I look forward to seeing how running will improve my health and my life, just like my daily routine with God has shown positive changes in these past few months.

Where are you "sitting on the fence" in regards to a life change you've contemplated, but not yet implemented? What motivation will be required for you to take the plunge? Who in your life will you choose to hold you accountable? I urge you, follow God's prompting, you will not regret your decision!


No comments:

Post a Comment