Thursday, July 22, 2010

Inspiration Comes When Least Expected

My family is leaving for Michigan later today to attend the Van Pelt Family Reunion just outside Traverse City, Michigan on Saturday. My father-in-law is the grandson of one of the Van Pelt daughters, hence our connection to the family.

As I was packing, doing laundry, cleaning out the car, and all those other things you do just prior to leaving town for an extended weekend, my youngest was watching the movie Chocolat. I was only able to catch parts of the movie, but immediately recognized this small French community was under the dictatorship of a very controlling man. To make matters worse, the man used as his mouthpiece the priest.

Each Sunday people were chastised by the homily. Using his strong influence over the priest, the mayor would provide significant input into the homily, using the pulpit to influence local policy. Every time an element the mayor did not wish to tolerate came into town (the woman who set up a chocolate shop, the "river people" who docked along the shore of the river), the mayor would influence the priest to describe how this new influence was evil. The influence was so significant, there is a scene where the priest includes a lecture against one of the groups during a funeral.

While I'd like to say this sort of spiritual control no longer happens, that as people have learned more about God's grace, they have become more Christ-like in their daily lives, it simply isn't true. You don't have to wait very long in some churches before you hear some form of "hate speech" (for lack of a better description). Even in a world where tolerance is expected, so often those who have received forgiveness for so much, offer forgiveness to so few.

Like this French village, we are so often caught up in outward appearance and miss the eternal. Unfortunately, this is not some new phenomenon that has risen out of the vanity of the modern age. The inability of people to see each other as God sees them has been around for a very long time. In 1 Samuel 16:7 (NIV) we read: "But the LORD said to Samuel, 'Do not consider his appearance or his height, for I have rejected him. The LORD does not look at the things man looks at. Man looks at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart.'"

Fortunately, the story takes a turn for the better. Near the end of the movie, redemption (and restoration) is achieved when the priest stands up on Easter Sunday and says:

"I'm not sure what the theme of my homily today ought to be. Do I want to speak of the miracle of our Lord's divine transformation? Not really, no. I don't want to talk about his divinity, I'd rather talk about his humanity. I mean, you know, how he lived his life here on earth. His kindness, his tolerance. Listen, here's what I think. I think we can't go around measuring our goodness by what we don't do, by what we deny ourselves, what we resist, and who we exclude. I think we've got to measure goodness by what we embrace, what we create, and who we include."

A few weeks back, I posted a blog about a group of people who did exactly that, they embraced Jesus' humanity. These men went to a gay pride parade with signs and shirts saying they were sorry, sorry for the way the church has treated the gay community. Through their humility, a bridge was built. These men understood the humanity of Jesus.

How are you living your life today? Are you living in a judgmental, intolerant, holier-than-thou manner, or are you striving to live each day of your life in a manner that honors the humanness of Jesus? I'm not talking about wearing a WWJD bracelet. I'm talking about digging deep into the scripture and learning for yourself just who Jesus was, what he did, and how you can emulate him. How can I ask myself "what would Jesus do" if I don't truly understand who Jesus was?

Take a good look at your life today and choose. Will I continue to live my life in the same narcissistic manner that has brought me this far or will I realize that only through connecting the least, the last, and the lost with the human face of Jesus will I also be "saved."

No comments:

Post a Comment