Wednesday, July 10, 2013

What Does Godliness with Contentment Look Like?

I've been struggling with contentment lately. I realize that living in America, in a 2-income family, we are the 1% when you compare us to the entirety of the world. But I still struggle.

Of late, it has been questions like:

1. I lost my iPad, an iPad I'd saved nearly 2 years to purchase this past February. I'm now saving again, but I'm far short of what I need and often find myself really wanting to run to the local store and buy the replacement. I'm not content without an iPad right now.

2. My 1999 Ford Explorer needs more work done to it than is reasonably cost effective as compared to purchasing another vehicle. But we don't have the money to either do the work or to purchase a replacement vehicle, especially since my wife and I have committed to living on cash and not credit. I am no longer content with my "broken down" Explorer.

3. We have a couch, but it is also very old and falling apart. It is no longer comfortable and quite the eye sore. I am not content with my couch, so much so that I've asked my wife to hold off entertaining until we find a replacement; something that is hard to do since the budget doesn't include a couch fund.

I could go on, and on, and on.

So today I ask, what does Godliness with contentment look like? Paul said:
"But godliness with contentment is great gain. For we brought nothing into the world, and we can take nothing out of it. But if we have food and clothing, we will be content with that. Those who want to get rich fall into temptation and a trap and into many foolish and harmful desires that plunge people into ruin and destruction. For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs." I Timothy 6:6-10 (NIV)
I have food. I have clothing.  I have shelter, so I am truly blessed. According to Paul's words, words I truly believe are inspired by God, I should be content.

I look forward to the day, I can say like Paul:
"I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation ..." Philippians 4:11-12 (NIV)
I truly wish I were. It is something I have to really work on constantly, however.

No comments:

Post a Comment