Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Modern Christian Music

I have a number of friends who are in church ministry, either on staff at a church or traveling the country working with churches in the AVL (audio, video, lighting) industry, who do not like Christian music.

They don't listen to it outside of Sunday mornings at church.

As a music lover, someone who truly enjoys all kinds of music (yes, I even have some rap music on my iPod), I just don't understand people who dislike one genre or another.

But as a Christian, I truly don't understand.

If God is truly inside of us, wouldn't we want to be surrounded with music that uplifts and glorifies Him?

I understand their reasoning; well the reasoning they have shared publicly. They say Christian music is "cheesy" or "poorly done" or some other similar logic. They say the same thing about Christian movies, TV shows, etc.

And, while it is true that historically Christian's have not been able to consistently provide quality products using mainstream medium (music, movies, books, TV shows, etc.); they have improved.

Especially when it comes to Christian music.

But beyond the quality, there are so many awesome messages in Christian music. Consider:

"Someone Worth Dying For" by MikesChair - God considered me someone worth dying for!

"Better Than a Hallelujah" by Amy Grant - God considers the moanings from my everyday life, my deepest pains and sorrows, more beautiful than a hallelujah.

"Worn" by Tenth Avenue North - even when I'm down, I can see that redemption wins, that the struggle ends, that God can raise a song from the ashes of a broken life.

"Who Am I" by Casting Crowns reminds us that the God of the Universe knows our name and feels my hurt!

"Blessings" by Laura Story - even in the midst of life, God's blessings can be found because "What if Your blessings come through rain drops, what if Your healing comes though tears, what if a thousand sleepless nights are what it takes to know You're near, what if the trials of this life, are Your mercies in disguise?"

Now, I don't just listen to Christian music. I do have it on frequently, but I would say that less than 1/3 of my music library is Christian.

But why wouldn't I want to surround myself daily with these truths, and others so similar. Even if the quality wasn't quite there?

I'm not perfect, these friends of mine could write some post about things I don't do as a Christian they find peculiar. Nor am I questioning their Christianity or devotion to God.

I wanted to demonstrate there is great truth in Christian music and I believe so many people are missing it because they choose not to listen.

Are you making sure that each day you find a way to focus on how great our God is, how awesome is His love for us? I'd love to hear your thoughts!

No comments:

Post a Comment