Thursday, July 25, 2013

I Have Learned to Be Content (Well, actually) ...

I had a different blog post already for upload this morning, but today I want to share a little of the struggle I've had these past few hours ...

It is Thursday morning, and we leave tonight for Michigan. It is our annual VanPelt Family Reunion weekend (my lovely bride's side of the family) ... It happens the last Saturday of July just outside Traverse City, Michigan.

The usual reunion weekend has our family driving to Hastings, Michigan on Thursday, arriving around midnight. We stay with my bride's brother and sister-in-law.

Sometime Friday we all head towards Traverse City where we descend on my bride's uncle's house. About 10 to 20 people, depending on the year, camp out there each July.

My brother & sister-in-law have a small trailer that is often brought from Hastings to Traverse City. One year we pulled it with our SUV. However, my current transportation, the Explorer, does not have a hitch.

Last year, my brother-in-law borrowed a truck to pull the trailer. This year they are doing the same.

However, due to work schedule and commitments, the in-laws won't be leaving Hastings until late Friday night.

Enter my discontentment. I will either be helping to set up a trailer after midnight, in the dark, or find myself sleeping in a tent Friday night ... neither option appeals to me.

I found this out Thursday after work ... and ever since, my mind has been scheming ... what options do I have that would allow me to get the trailer to Traverse City earlier on Friday ... allowing my in-laws the opportunity to come up later to an already set up, ready-to-sleep-in trailer?

I would not be allowed to use the vehicle they are borrowing, it is a work truck from my brother-in-laws company ... So what other options do I have?

I could rent a truck locally (say in Grand Rapids) for the weekend that would pull the trailer. I could even rent something for the entire trip, round trip from Lexington, that could do the job. But a vehicle rental isn't in the trip budget.

I even considered asking friends if I could borrow their vehicle. But that is a big ask, especially at the last minute.

All because I don't want to sleep in a tent or be setting up a trailer at 1 am Saturday morning ...

Understand, I tossed and turned all night Thursday night ... I really didn't get a good nights' sleep. This is also adding to my discontent. Not to mention, driving 7 hours tonight having spent a fitful night, is also not appealing.

As I drove into work this morning, still scheming solutions in my brain, God placed Philippians 4:11 in my mind: "Not that I was ever in need, for I have learned to be content with whatever I have." (Philippians 4:11 - NLT)

There are homeless people who would love to have a tent, any type of shelter is an upgrade from their situation.

I'm suffering discontentment due to "first world" problems. I have shelter (I don't like the options, but I have shelter); I have food; I have family that loves, supports, and encourages me; I HAVE ...

If I step back, my problems are insignificant. And I've caused myself even more issues because I allowed myself to dwell on the issues rather than sleep. Now I have to suffer the reality of that lack of sleep ...

I'm still not happy with the circumstances I'll be driving into as we head to Michigan tonight ... but I'm trying to keep a positive attitude.

I look forward to the day, I can truly say, "I have learned to be content with whatever I have."

No comments:

Post a Comment