Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Are You Just "Tweeting" to God?

It's been a crazy week. In my new position as production director at SoAcres Church (www.SoAcres.com) I am in charge of stage design, look and feel. This week we are changing it up, in part to honor dads on Father's Day, but in part to have a fresh new feel as we go into summer.

It makes for long days, and I haven't been able to live into my newly established goal of blogging four or five times a week.

Tonight is Wednesday, the work week is nearly half complete, and I finally had a chance to sit down at the computer. A phrase has been running through my mind for the last day or two; Tweeting God.

I've been hearing a lot of messages on prayer lately. That's a good thing, considering the changes that have been going on in my world. But one common thread runs through all of these messages coming from different places: God wants quantity.

It made me stop and think. I consider myself a praying person. While I don't pray out loud very often (meal times excluded), I do pray frequently. Many times during the day I will offer up a prayer of thanksgiving, call upon God to help with some situation (I lost my car keys again?), or simply just marvel at the beauty of the sunset (since I don't see many sunrises) or the color of the sky.

But this could all be summed up as "Tweeting God." In 160 characters or less, send your request/praise/admiration to heaven.

God wants quantity time. Back when things were perfect, before Adam and Eve partook of the forbidden fruit, God walked with them in the cool of the evening; EVERY evening.

God wanted to hear about his children's day. God wanted to walk, talk, laugh, listen, and share with his kids.

Much like many fathers take time to sit with their kids when they first get home, as many husbands listen to their wife talk about her day; God wants to get the blow-by-blow account of my day.

So I need to stop "Tweeting God" and I need to spend more time with Him simply in conversation. He desires quantity, and I need to give it to Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment