Wednesday, April 3, 2013

And It All Came Tumbling Down

Today's post will be a converging of two of my worlds.

As many of you who know me are aware, I've spent the past 5 years traveling the country working with churches who are upgrading their AVL (audio, video, lighting) systems. Today, I received a phone call from a church here I Lexington I've been working with these past few months; it seems their screen had begun to fall.

Sure enough, one of the three rigging points had failed, and the screen was tilting when I walked into the room.

As I got up on the lift and went to look at what had gone wrong, I found the person who had hung the screen originally had not used appropriate cables. The screen had been hung using lighting safety cables, and not high quality safety cables at that.

The screen had been hanging for some time, I'm not exactly sure how long; but it eventually failed.

As I was repairing the screen, replacing the three points with four new points, I starting thinking about how this failure of the screen rigging related to life.

Specifically, sin in our lives.

You see, sin can be just like those cables holding that screen. For a while, we don't even realize there's a problem. But right from the start, everything is just not safe. The longer we allow the sin to permeate our life, the closer to disaster we come.

Eventually, everything will come tumbling down.

No comments:

Post a Comment