Thursday, March 28, 2013

Jesus Stooped Down

I'm listening to a sermon online this afternoon and the pastor read the line, "Jesus stooped down" taken from John 8:6 in the New Living Translation of the Bible. The message was so profound, I had to pause the video and switch over to my blog to jot down my thoughts.

Instantly images of Jesus stooping down rushed to my mind. This line is from the story of the woman caught in adultery, brought to Jesus by the religious leaders of the day. Jesus' response upon hearing the accusation, to stoop down.

Why?

Because that is where the woman was.

This isn't the only time Jesus stooped. He stooped down to make mud so he could heal a blind man. This miracle is recorded in the very next chapter of the Bible, John 9.

While the text doesn't say he stooped, I'm sure Jesus stooped down when he spoke to the man at the Pool of Bethesda. John 5 records Jesus' interaction with the man. John tells us the man had been sick for 38 years. At the time he met Jesus, he was laying on a mat near the pool, but not close enough to be the first person into the pool.

I'm sure Jesus didn't stand over the man during their conversation. Again, the text doesn't say specifically, but I picture Jesus stooping down next to the man's mat to converse with him, and ultimately heal him.

But more importantly, Jesus stooped down when he left Heaven to enter earth as a baby. Philippians 2:5-11 tell the story. Jesus gave up the Divine to become human; he stooped.

Jesus stooped, and I gained the ability to be reconciled to God. Thank you Jesus you loved me enough to stoop down!

No comments:

Post a Comment