Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Angry with God?

Sunday night at small group, the conversation turned to anger. One of our group asked if I would consider a post about being angry with God. This was a topic that really intrigued me, so I sat down this morning and did a little probing into the Psalms.

Psalm 22:1-3 (the Message)

"God, God...my God! Why did you dump me

miles from nowhere?

Doubled up with pain, I call to God

all the day long. No answer. Nothing.

I keep at it all night, tossing and turning.


And you! Are you indifferent, above it all,
leaning back on the cushions of Israel's praise?"


Psalm 10:1 (New International Version)

"Why, O LORD, do you stand far off?

Why do you hide yourself in times of trouble?"


Psalm 6:3 (New International Version)

"My soul is in anguish.

How long, O LORD, how long?"


David was not afraid to tell God how he felt. He was able to lay out some very raw emotions, showing us God can handle the truth. How could He not, God created us. He knows everything about us.

Psalm 139:1-4 (Contemporary English Version)

"You have looked deep into my heart, Lord,

and you know all about me.

You know when I am resting or when I am working,

and from heaven you discover my thoughts.

You notice everything I do

and everywhere I go.

Before I even speak a word,

you know what I will say ..."


This God who created us, knows what we are thinking, what we are going to say, even before we do. As God, living outside of time, He understands where we will be emotionally.

So is it OK to be angry with God? I believe so, but there are some guidelines:

1. Do not sin in your anger (Ephesians 4:26). While anger is an acceptable emotion (Jesus was angry in the temple), it is imperative you do not sin in your anger.

2. Do not curse God (Job 2:1-10). Even after he lost his children, his wealth, and his health, Job did not curse God. Job, like David, understood you had to accept the good from God along with the trouble.

3. Allow God to have a place in your heart (Psalm 139:23). Even in our anger with God, we still need to allow Him access to our heart to be able to work healing in our pain. Keep your heart open to Him as you are honest with your emotions.

4. Remember your faith and remain connected to a group of believers (Hebrews 10:22-25). Even in the depths of despair, we need to remember our faith. Being connected to a group of believers who can "spur one another on toward love and good deeds."

God is not shocked when we are honest with Him. I believe He is relieved. Trust Him enough to be honest with your emotions. Then, you will be able to experience the healing David felt in Psalm 51, the Psalm of forgiveness after the Prophet Nathan confronted him on his affair with Bathsheba and subsequent murder of her husband Uriah.

Psalm 51:12-17 (New International Version)

"Restore to me the joy of your salvation

and grant me a willing spirit, to sustain me.

Then I will teach transgressors your ways,
and sinners will turn back to you.

Save me from bloodguilt, O God,
the God who saves me,
and my tongue will sing of your righteousness.

O Lord, open my lips,
and my mouth will declare your praise.

You do not delight in sacrifice, or I would bring it;
you do not take pleasure in burnt offerings.

The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit;
a broken and contrite heart,
O God, you will not despise"

1 comment:

  1. Tim, that is an excellent post. Great things to remember during the hardest of times.

    ReplyDelete