Thursday, March 6, 2014

Forgiveness is for Us

The topic of forgiveness came up this week in a conversation. I wanted to share some of my thoughts from that night, in part because maybe getting something "out there" will help me as I continue to contemplate what God needs me to learn and say on this very difficult topic.

I'm sure we've all heard the verse, some of us have even memorized it. "If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness." (1 John 1:9-NIV®)

It wasn't until recently that I realized that asking God to forgive us isn't so much about God, it is about us.

What happens when we "mess up?" Most of us begin kicking ourselves. How was I so stupid? I know better than that. What was I thinking?

Even children do this. Think back to when you were a child. The worst punishment you ever received was when you mom said, "Just wait until your father gets home."

You would spend the rest of the day wondering what that punishment would be. And whatever you considered, it was always terrible.

I learned early on as a parent that asking my kids what the punishment for their "crime" should be often resulted in a harsher punishment that I was contemplating.

The Bible is clear that God is our father. In Luke 11 we read that God desires to give us good gifts, even better than we ask. (Luke 11:9-13)

Let's take that behavior of a child, the behavior we all exhibit from time to time, and transition it to our spiritual life. We sin, and we begin kicking ourselves.

Has our sin caused us to lose our salvation? No.
And I am convinced that nothing can ever separate us from God's love. Neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither our fears for today nor our worries about tomorrownot even the powers of hell can separate us from God's love. No power in the sky above or in the earth belowindeed, nothing in all creation will ever be able to separate us from the love of God that is revealed in Christ Jesus our Lord. (Romans 8:38-39-NLT)
Our sin does, however, block our relationship with God. Not from God's viewpoint, although a Holy God cannot stand sin, but from our view point. Remember, from God's viewpoint, "He has removed our sins as far from us as the east is from the west" (Psalm 103:12-NLT).

So I believe that asking God for forgiveness is more about us. I know God has forgiven my sins in my head. I read throughout His word, the Bible, about how much He loves me. I understand mentally there is nothing that can remove me from the Book of Life.

It is the emotional response, my "heart response" where the disconnect happens. And I believe that is where my need to ask forgiveness becomes important.

It is through my seeking forgiveness, through my saying, "I can't do this on my own," through my acknowledgement of God's grace that I am restored.

Yes, God wants us to ask. But I do not believe He withholds forgiveness until we do. I believe that when we ask, we are allowing ourselves to get out of the way so His love can flood our hearts once again.

So the next time you sin, don't beat yourself up too long. Remember that God's love is eternal, His grace is sufficient, and He desires you simply acknowledge your need for Him.

When you do, your heart will be filled with His love once again.


No comments:

Post a Comment