Friday, September 3, 2010

Love Your Neighbor As Yourself

A friend posted an interview with Francis Chan on his blog recently, so I watched the video, What's Next for Francis Chan. It is a discussion about what Francis is doing now that he is leaving Cornerstone Church in Simi Valley and moving towards launching a new work in the inner city of Los Angeles.

I was moved by Francis' words about learning that as American's we are focused too much on ourselves and on obtaining more "stuff," in part because that is where my lovely bride and I have come in our journey. I was so impressed by the words Francis shared, I emailed the link to my wife. Last night over dinner, we discussed what she had seen.

Not knowing who Francis Chan was, my wife was not as impressed as I was at his commitment to begin to focus living on less so he could be generous with more. My bride decided to look for more sermons and videos by Francis and ran across the following link, Lessons From Uganda. This sermon, more than the video my friend had posted, moved my wife to tears. She asked me to listen, so this morning I played the audio track while eating breakfast. Immediately, I had to post a blog.

In Lessons From Uganda, Francis demonstrates true religion, as described in James 1:27, "Pure and genuine religion in the sight of God the Father means caring for orphans and widows in their distress and refusing to let the world corrupt you." (New Living Translation) Mr. Chan then ties that with the greatest commandment:
"Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?" Jesus replied: " 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments." (Matthew 22:36-40, New International Version)
Francis then challenges his congregation to put themselves into the text from Matthew. What does loving your neighbor as yourself look like, practically speaking? How do I live that way on a daily basis?

Francis talks about the pleasure of supporting four orphaned children, a family of kids who lost their parents to HIV/AIDS, in Uganda. He tells of the pleasure of meeting them, spending time with them, buying them clothes, food and pizza. He shares that it truly is more blessed to give than to receive (Acts 20:35)! His prayer is the joy he and the team that accompanied him to Uganda experienced will permeate the rest of the Cornerstone family and they will become a church that truly demonstrates true religion.

It breaks my heart there are so few churches today who desire to demonstrate true religion. You may hear them say, I am loving my neighbor, why do you think we get together all the time in this place? We come together and encourage each other.

However, if you read the corresponding passage of love God, love your neighbor from Luke you will notice Jesus is asked, "Who is my neighbor?" In response, Jesus tells the parable of the Good Samaritan.

If you remember the story, it is a stranger from another land, a land filled with people who are despised by the Jews, who demonstrates himself a neighbor. It wasn't the two religious men, it was the "enemy." I conclude that our neighbor then is anyone we see who is in need; the homeless man (or woman, or children) on the street. Yes, that dirty person who is going to take your money and buy alcohol or drugs. That is your neighbor. How does loving them as yourself look, practically speaking?

Wait, what are you saying? I'm saying the same thing as Francis Chan, the same thing as Jon Weece (Southland Christian Church in Lexington, Kentucky), the same thing as Jesus. If you want to experience the joy of true religion, if you want to find the abundance Jesus promises in John 10:10 (the inspiration for this blog's title), you have to love God and then love people. But just loving people isn't enough. You have to love them as yourself.

And that is the hard part. Loving people, especially if we consider throwing a few dollars at them love, is something American's have demonstrated an ability to do. But to get dirty with them, to step into their lives and become a part of that scene, to truly show strangers the same level of love I show myself (whom I deny nothing); that is hard.

But Francis has found in doing so, he has found so much! Francis ended his Lessons From Uganda with another Jesus quote, one I find appropriate as well to challenge you today:
"Jesus said to all of them, "If people want to follow me, they must give up the things they want. They must be willing to give up their lives daily to follow me. Those who want to save their lives will give up true life. But those who give up their lives for me will have true life. It is worthless to have the whole world if they themselves are destroyed or lost." (Luke 9: 23-25, New Century Version)
How are you doing in following the greatest commandment? What things do you need to rearrange in your life so you are honestly loving God and loving your neighbor as yourself; in such as manner as to be holding nothing back? I believe Jesus, and I believe Francis Chan; if you love in this way, if you practice true religion as God the father has defined, you will find abundant life!

Will you join me, my lovely bride, Francis Chan, Jon Weece, and so many others in this journey?

No comments:

Post a Comment