Saturday, August 7, 2010

Free Samples

I was listening to the radio the other day in the car when the DJ started talking about free samples. She said many sales in America are a direct result of free samples. I'm not sure if her premise was based on a study or simply personal observation.

However, if free samples didn't work, weekends at Sam's Club and Costco would be very different. I have friends who go to the "Costco buffet" on a regular basis. Last weekend my wife and I were not shy at our local Kroger, taking several of the samples offered. If the cost of these displays was not profitable, you wouldn't see them.

Because I was listening to a Christian station, the DJ then made the spiritual application. If we want people to know God, we need to make sure they get free samples too. She quoted Psalm 34:8: "Taste and see that the Lord is good. Oh, the joys of those who take refuge in him!" (New Living Translation)

Think about it, what is the reputation of Christianity in the world today? Not very good. In fact, a very famous convert from atheism to Christianity, Anne Rice, recently made a very public departure. Let me be clear, Anne didn't quit Jesus, she simply quit organized religion. In her statement on her Facebook page, Anne wrote:

"For those who care, and I understand if you don’t: Today I quit being a Christian. I’m out. I remain committed to Christ as always but not to being “Christian” or to being part of Christianity. It’s simply impossible for me to “belong” to this quarrelsome, hostile, disputatious, and deservedly infamous group. For ten years, I’ve tried. I’ve failed. I’m an outsider. My conscience will allow nothing else."

Anne continued the dialog on Facebook, placing the following post:

"As I said below, I quit being a Christian. I’m out. In the name of Christ, I refuse to be anti-gay. I refuse to be anti-feminist. I refuse to be anti-artificial birth control. I refuse to be anti-Democrat. I refuse to be anti-secular humanism. I refuse to be anti-science. I refuse to be anti-life. In the name of Christ, I quit Christianity and being Christian. Amen.”

Anne reaffirmed her faith in Christ despite a lack of faith in Christianity with another Facebook post:

"My faith in Christ is central to my life. My conversion from a pessimistic atheist lost in a world I didn't understand, to an optimistic believer in a universe created and sustained by a loving God is crucial to me. But following Christ does not mean following His followers. Christ is infinitely more important than Christianity and always will be, no matter what Christianity is, has been, or might become."

I doubt Anne's feelings are hers alone. Far too many people have publicly said they would follow Jesus if it were not for the "Christians" they knew. It seems to me the biggest deterrent to modern people following Jesus is his church.

This is such a departure from the early days of the church. In Acts 2:46-47 we read: "The believers met together in the Temple every day. They ate together in their homes, happy to share their food with joyful hearts. They praised God and were liked by all the people. Every day the Lord added those who were being saved to the group of believers." (New Century Version)

What has moved us from "were liked by all the people" to "I'd gladly follow Christ except for all the Christians I've met in my life"? I think we've forgotten about free samples.

Jesus told us how to change the world. He didn't call us to assemble in big, beautiful buildings with great sound systems. He didn't call us to give money so the "professionals" can handle the ministry. Jesus very simply said, "And if anyone gives even a cup of cold water to one of these little ones because he is my disciple, I tell you the truth, he will certainly not lose his reward." (Matthew 10:42, NIV).

In James we read, "Pure and genuine religion in the sight of God the Father means caring for orphans and widows in their distress and refusing to let the world corrupt you." (James 1:27, New Living Translation)

If we get back to offering free samples: giving drinks of water in Jesus' name; caring for the widows (and single moms) and orphans (and children of single moms); and helping the last, the least, and the lost among us, I believe people like Anne Rice will applaud our efforts, quite possibly even stepping up to help.

I know my lovely bride and I are making the decision to do more. Will you help us?

No comments:

Post a Comment